Can I buy/sell/inherit my Spanish property without going to Spain in person?

Juan Ramón Correas [Lawyer]

The current circumstances created by COVID-19 have made very difficult for UK citizens to come to Spain. And this might also be the case in the future (let’s hope the situation improves soon enough).

In this scenario, you may wonder if there is any chance of completing a transaction in Spain without having to come in person. The answer is yes, indeed, there is an alternative: granting a power of attorney.

By signing a power of attorney you would be granting some faculties to a person in Spain (usually a lawyer, as they are specialist in the transactions we are talking about, but it could also be a relative, a friend, etc.), and that person would be able to complete your transaction in your behalf.

It could be very helpful to complete the purchase of your new Spanish property, the sale of the Spanish property you already own, or even winding up the estate of a relative who passed away and left you his/her Spanish assets, without having to be in Spain personally.

The process is not complicated and in JR Correas – Abogados we will take care of guiding you through it: we will prepare the form (in Spanish and English, so you know exactly what you are signing and there is no need for expensive official translations), send it to you and you will just need to get an appointment with a local Notary in the UK to sign it before him/her.

Of course, granting a power of attorney should only be done in favour of a person that is trustworthy. Note that the person appointed would be able to act on your behalf, so it is very important that the person appointed follow your specific instructions and nothing else: that is why you need to make sure that you grant it in favour of a reliable person, with the necessary professional skills to complete the task.

We hope that the previous information is helpful, but please do not hesitate to contact us with any question or comments.

Please note that the information provided in this article is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues.